This document will be updated continuously until it is as complete as can be, please let me know what I can add to make it more useful for everyone, especially new Cassandra users
While on my path to learning Scala, or rather improving my very lacking Scala knowledge I've written a progress bar for the command line... I'm pretty sure it is far more verbose than it needs to be, but until I know how to code less and do more, this is it: <!-- more -->
I'll be getting some free time over the next few weeks and I intend to put together a series of Cassandra Cheat Sheets. I've been wanting to for a while but haven't gotten round to it, so the following list are the individual sheets which target specific things relating to Cassandra.
This a simple wrapper I wrote for Hector.
Available at : https://github.com/zcourts/cassandra-hector-wrapper
This is an update to my two previous posts: http://crlog.info/2011/03/29/cassandra-query-language-aka-cql-syntax/ AND http://crlog.info/2011/06/13/cassandra-query-language-cql-v1-0-0-updated/ If you're using versions of Cassandra prior v1.0 beta one of the above links may be more appropriate as little things may have changed here and there. The official doc is on Gitub in textile markup here https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/doc/cql/CQL.textile
A few days ago I promised I'd go through what I did when setting up varnish with wordpress, its been slightly delay but here goes. The blog I used it on was Script and Scroll. I've ran the Apache benchmark tool against the site, only one URL but made 1Million requests to it and it held up quite well. The requests were completed in about 5 minutes, I may post the results in a later entry...
Recently my other blog, Script and Scroll, started to get a decent amount of traffic. One blog in particular linked back to a post someone published and it gained a lot of attention. Within a few hours of the link being created I started to get alerts from my monitoring system...Wordpress was slowing down, crapping out and running out of memory when serving pages. The load on my VPS hit the roof and Apache more or less came to a halt. After a quick round of investigating, scanning logs etc, I realized what was happening after seeing the referrer and looking at the page that had linked to us. Right, it was time to do something now that I knew what the problem was. Mind you, I had a caching plugin installed but it wasn't doing much good. After thinking of what my options were I decided to go with Varnish Cache.
A while back (April 2011) I wrote an article that I wanted to publish on Sitepoint but I guess they didn't like it because I haven't had a reply back. I was just randomly cleaning up my mail and found it in my sent messages folder.